How do you Say Goodbye?
My mother-in law Catherine is in her last days this side of heaven and I'm on my way to spend the afternoon with her holding her hand, reading her favorite scripture and finding a way to "say goodbye".
How do you say goodbye to someone who means the world to you?
An interesting question to ponder isn't it? That leads me to the next question, why do some of us wait until life on this earth is almost over before we let our loved ones know just how much they mean to us?

I'm one of the few women I know who can actually say that I LOVE
my mother-in-law.
In fact Catherine has been one of my sweetest friends throughout the entire 28 years of our marriage. She is a petite woman in stature but a spiritual giant who has walked closely with the Lord almost all of her 96 years of life.
She has poured HIS life into mine and has been a living example of a godly wife and mother.
How do you say good-bye to your mentor, your model, your "mother"?

As I sit in her room today and hold her hand I will try to express my gratitude for everything she is and has been to me and the rest of her family. I will thank her for the time we shared as she progressed through cancer and a broken wrist. I will praise her for always keeping Christ first in her life and for pouring HIS life into mine and I will treasure the last few moments I have with her as we usher her into the waiting arms of our sweet Jesus and the beloved family members anticipating her arrival.


I read this years ago and have found it comforting.

Death is like standing on the shore watching a ship sail away with your loved one on board; while we are saddened about their departure there are those waiting on the opposite shore watching and waiting to catch a glimpse of that same ship, anticipating the arrival of their loved one.

Knowing that Catherine will receive "perfect healing" as she takes her first breath of heavenly air and will be reunited with the beloved family she's missed so much makes saying good-bye a little easier.



3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I am sorry to hear about your mother in law. I love the illustration of the ship. Praying for your family.
Laura

Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Zoe, what a wonderful season you have had with your mother-in-law. I,too,have a precious one. This morning, a dear friend lost her battle with cancer--it was announced during church. I am still in shock. I lead a senior high girls' Bible study, and we meet tomorrow. I have been sitting in front of the computer--Bible opened-for a while. God used your post to speak to me and bless me as I try to discern what He wants me to say to the girls tomorrow. One of the girls is the daughter of my friend who died.

God is SO good...He led me to your post. His timing is perfect. I will lift up your family in prayer during this time.

Blessings,
Susan
Isaiah 55:8-13

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits