From Procrastination to Perseverance

As we move forward in our study on change, I'd like to move us from procrastination to:

Perseverance

The Greek word (proskarteresis)


is translated perseverance, it means endurance and continuance.

There are a number of places in the word where we find the idea of perseverance, just under a different name.

Here a few to consider:

1. Stand Firm - I Cor. 15: 58, "Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." (NIV)

2. Faithful - Col. 1: 2, "To God’s holy people in Colossae, the faithful brothers and sisters in Christ:Grace and peace to you from God our Father." (NIV)

3. Obedient - I Pet. 1: 14, "As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance." (NIV)

4. Keep - Jude 21, "keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life." (NIV)

5. Continue - Col. 1: 23, "f you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant." (NIV)

Here are a few biblical examples of things that hinder perseverance.

The Parable of the Sower for instance has a number of examples.

1. Lack of understanding - Matthew 13:19, "When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path." (NIV)

2. Trouble/Persecution - Matthew 13 :21, "But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away." (NIV)

3. Worry - Matthew 13:22, "The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful." (NIV)

4. Deceitfulness of wealth - Matthew 13:22, "The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful." (NIV)

5. Our enemy (the evil one) is behind people not persevering - Matthew 13:19, "When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path." (NIV)

So, after studying these verses what is the one conclusion can we reach?

Those who persevere will receive God's blessing.

Matthew 10:22b, "but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved." (NIV)

What about you friend? What are your thoughts?

I'd love to hear your story.




5 Comments:

Blogger Desiray said...

I believe in my heart that we are to be perseverance more in our walk in reading the word in prayer and fasting. Hannah was a woman who displayed perseverance she was persist until God gave her a son and she vowed to give the child back to God. And the end result God blessed her with a child..Imagine what would happen if we as saints would persevere after the things of God we would make such a huge impact in this world

Blogger Mary R Snyder said...

Zoe, I'm great at the procrastination and am learning to persevere. My heart's desire to serve the Lord with all that I am and do that I must persevere!

Thanks for making me think and consider.

Anonymous LauraLee Shaw said...

Zoe, great post! My two words to focus on this year were prayer and perseverance, but they really go together, don't they? Thanks for the exhortation to keep at it, dear sis.

Blogger Lelia Chealey said...

I need perseverance in my life!! My procrastinating ways not only affect me, but my family. At night I work home health care and we have to fill out our time sheets for each visit. We're also supposed to hand them in daily. Well, going to the office for me is a pain, so I wait and hand them in all at once. Handing them in daily helps the office person, but I think only of my business. By not handing them in by the 5pm deadline on Monday...I handed them in at 9pm Monday night when I remembered...affects my family. Now, instead of getting paid this Friday, I'll get paid 2 weeks from this Friday. Money counted on will not be direct deposited because "I'll do it later". Funny how procrastination's girlfriend is frustration. PERSEVERANCE...I'm coming! :)

Blogger Kim said...

I've tried persevering after God but don't feel his blessings

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits