Hope in Christ is Never Disappointing

Recently I was lunching with a friend when I overheard the conversation at the table next to us. One woman at the table came very close to winning a promotion, and her disappointment was understandable as she had just learned she did not get what she had wanted. As she shared her frustration, her friend read the following verses from the Book of Romans. “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith unto this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character, and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” (Romans 5: 1-5)

After hearing those verses the woman expressed that God must be teaching her to be patient. In other words, when God knows the time is right, this woman expressed confidence that her promotion will indeed be made evident.

What an encouragement as a Christian, knowing that we have hope even when things don’t appear to be going our way.

When I returned home and looked at those verses in Romans, God began to open my eyes regarding my attitude toward a recent disappointment of my own. Just one verse beyond the promise of hope was God’s message to me:

“You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.” (Romans 5:6)

Friends, when we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior, we must learn to become selfless if we are ever to live a spirit-filled life. Secondly, we have to accept God’s timing as sovereign and perfect for his children.

That night as I brushed my teeth, I took a moment to really I look at myself in the mirror. I realized that I had not allowed that selfless quality to show through my recent disappointment. The only quality that was shining through was a selfish Christian who would not submit to fact that God’s ways are not my ways and His timing is always perfect.

If you're struggling with disappointment today will you pray this prayer along with me?

Lord, forgive me for the selfish attitude I have shown throughout this recent disappointment. I am grateful for the doors that you have closed and for the ones You are about to open. Fill the emptiness of my disappointment with your Spirit and enable me to trust Your provision and perfect timing.In Jesus name I pray. Amen.



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful prayer! I needed that, thank you Zoe! I work in a man's world (26 years)and feel I'm always being passed over for promotions, but I always work hard at reminding myself that God has me here for a reason and I try so very hard to do the best job I can for success of the company as well as my coworkers. My day will come, maybenot at this job, but at the right job when God is ready!

Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for this reminder! I have been letting disappointment get the better of me recently. I needed to hear this.

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits