Monday's Message

Jeremiah 33:3 Call to Me, and I will answer you, and I will show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.


Having a "microwave life" where everything is ready in a few minutes or even seconds is the desire of most people everywhere (including me).
Contrast that to God's "conventional oven" method.

When my husband and I began dating, I wanted to impress him by baking his favorite sweet treat. While I had never made an Italian Cream Cake, I was confident I was up for the challenge. After gathering the ingredients and following the recipe perfectly, I carefully place the cake pans in my mom's new oven.

When I removed the cakes, they appeared to be done, so I cooled the layers, then iced them with the yummy icing. I could hardly wait until dinner was done, so we could all enjoy the sumptuous dessert. As the slices were cut and served I could see something was terribly wrong! The cake layers which were supposed to be light and fluffy, were grey and uncooked. I was embarrassed and humiliated! "How did this happen?" I squealed?

My mom reminded me that I didn't set the oven timer when I placed the cakes in the oven.

Oh friends, I hope you will see the simple truth in my story today. Timing is very important not only in baking cakes, but in life itself. Our desire may be to have what we want when we want it, but waiting patiently on the Lord yields perfect answers in perfect time.

Avoiding a microwave oven mentality is one step toward a life of holiness. Applying God's conventional oven method to our lives, opens the door to blessing and answers we could never imagine.


"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." Psalm 34:8 (NIV)






2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Zoe,

God's timing... so hard sometimes, and so exciting at other times. I have been holding onto "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits; and in his word I put my hope" from Psa. 131:5 this year. Thanks for the cake analogy and reminder.

Regarding your comment on my site, thank you. I grinned at the image of college guys wolfing down endless pizzas. That's about right for that age. They are wonderful. How long did you do Campus Outreach?

Thank you for the prayer cover, Zoe. Always needed and appreciated.

Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Blogger Dawn said...

Really good posting, Zoe! Enjoyed it! Also, can identify with it! Thanks for sharing it!

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits