Dining Room Re-Do
Let me start by admitting that I'm not a decorator. I don't even pretend to be one, but my sister Maria is. Although Maria graduated as a chemical engineer she also knows how to decorate anything beautifully! She's always on the look out for things at Marshall Home Goods, Target or GoodWill or consignment shops. When she knew I was ready to tackle my "way over due" dining room she got right to work and gave me some great advice.
Here is the before picture. You can tell it was done in the late '80's. While I loved it for many years, I'm sure you'll agree that it was in bad need of updating.



Tah Dah!!!!!!! Here is my newly repainted Dining Room.
Good thing I had Pandora Radio blasting out some country songs during this long and tedious project. :-)
It took two coats of primer and two coats of paint.
I used my favorite brand of paint:Benjamin Moore
This paint is a bit pricey, but well worth the money as it covers beautifully, cleans without peeling or flaking and touch-ups blend in so well, I've never had to repaint the entire wall just to cover a small wall boo-boo.

After sampling six different colors on all four walls, I finally settled on the color Horizon.
It's a light gray with green undertone.
I love it because in some light it appears to be gray, in other light it appears to be a soft green/gray.
Wow! Talk about color making a difference. The room feels completely different.



These are the new chairs Tom and I agreed would be our anniversary gift to one another.I've always wanted Louis XIV chairs and I found these at Restoration Hardware. Maria suggested I have them upholstered in velvet. We chose the color Fog. It's a soft gray. I just LOVE these new chairs.



I'm jumping up and down over my latest find. It's a silver plated bowl and I found it at a consignment shop for just $12.00! I scooped it up with a small silver plated bowl for $5.00.
I canhardly wait to find a use for that little bowl.


Maria (my Dallas decorator) suggested I put small orchids in the silver bowl and cover them with sheet moss. After speaking with my friendly plant nursery expert Lisa, she recommended these plants over orchids since the lighting in my Dining Room is not conducive for orchids.

I think my $12.00 sliver bowl with those plants looks fabulous.


And this is the outcome so far of this work in progress. I still need to find things for the walls and a skinny thin buffet. This room is only 12x12 and I don't want the room to be "closed in". I'm toying with the idea of painting the table base, maybe even the mirror. A new rug, wall shelves?
Like I said, it's all a work in progress on a tiny budget.
This may take awhile...






3 Comments:

Blogger Lelia Chealey said...

I'll come eat at your table! :) So pretty! I love when things all come together. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! So light and airy. I'm wanting to lighten up some of my rooms and this inspired me! Thanks for sharing it with us. BethA

Blogger B His Girl said...

I like the new fresh look. I thought I would suggest keeping an eye out on craigslist.org for furniture. I have scored on some beautiful furniture for crazy low prices. b

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits