Let's Gather at the Beach


This is a picture of the last working pontoon bridge on the East coast and it is located at Sunset Beach, NC. Our family has vacationed on this small, quiet, and quaint Island every summer for 24 years. At the top of every hour the bridge tender starts the diesel engine and this little, old, rickety bridge begins to swing around in order to open the way for commercial and pleasure boats to pass through on their way to places near and far.

Crossing this bridge is the only way on or off the Island and the bridge routinely breaks down at least once a month causing the workman to close the bridge to any traffic, causing many people to fuss and fume at the delay.


I'm feeling a bit like that rickety, old bridge myself today, overwhelmed at the work waiting for me at the office and the weekend ahead,so I'm listening to a CD of ocean waves gently breaking on the shore as I look at these pictures and write this post. I've always found the steady rhythm of the waves calming.
Oh friends, I wish we could all cross the little, old, rickety, bridge to gather on Sunset Beach for a few days of rest, relaxation, laughter and sweet fellowship today.

We could walk along the beach to Bird Island and read the journals kept in the "Kindred Spirit" mailbox.

We could walk along the beach and find beautiful shells to collect.

We could stay up late laughing til our sides split sharing funny stories.

We could cook together and eat together.

We could sit on the front porch and rock away the late afternoon hours.

Oh, I wish we could all gather at the beach.

But alas, that is not the plan for today....

In the mean time sweet friends, know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you to receive everything you need to be rested, restored and ready for the next chapter the Lord is perfecting for you..



Where would you invite all of your bloggy friends to gather?




8 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Zoe,

Thank you for the beautiful pictures! I put one of them on my computer as the background...

I wish we could meet at the beach today as well. Feeling a little overwhelmed. I am praying for everyone for She Speaks! Are you going?

I hope today goes smoothly at work for you and you get everything accomplished.

Blessings,
Melissa

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

Hi Zoe!

Beautiful photos. I guess if I had to pick where to gather it would be in the mountains to survey God's beauty and to have some cooler temperatures as well! :)

I pray that you feel an extra measure of strength this week and that God gives you what you need for each moment. May He give you peace and reminder that He is in control and with Him you will be able to accomplish all that you need to get done.

Blessings,
Pearls

Blogger April said...

Hey Zoe,
What gorgeous pictures! I have been bitten by the Beach bug myself, and try to appear "happy" when I hear of friends and family who are headed that way. Our time will come! We are going with my parents and my siblings and their spouses and kids in August. We will be a grand total of 15!(7 of the total are children, ages 9 yrs. to 19 mos.!)
We go to Holden Beach and have gone there since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I love that place, and I don't think it's too far from Sunset Beach, I'll have to go exploring this summer!
I pray for everything to go smoothly for you and all the P31 team as She Speaks draws near. I am sad not to be there, but it is my baby's 5th B'day on Friday and I have family coming that evening for a party. Now I've got to start cleaning my house and finish the painting project I started a week ago! I can feel overwhelming start to take over, okay , ocean breezes, wave kissed sand "melting" under my feet.... and our Heavenly Father who made it all possible. Peace to you my bloggy friend, may your day be filled with His love! Blessings, April

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zoe,
Sunset Beach sounds WONDERFUL!! Your post mentally took me there for a few seconds--Thanks!! My boys finished school yesterday so I could definitely benefit from a beach day!

Our family vacations in Ocean City, MD every August. It is a great town for kids/teens as there is a lot to do. I look forward to me & my hubby going to a more quiet place someday when we are back to just the two of us---may be Sunset Beach is the place??

Praying for you and all the other women as they get ready for She speaks.

Hugs,
Kim

Blogger Joyful said...

Your photos are breathtaking! Beautiful!

My place to gather isn't anywhere exotic. My favourite place is sitting around my kitchen table, coffee in hand, and God's Word open. Would love to share some time in His Word with you all - face-to-face!

Needing His calm today myself.
Praying for you,
Joy

Blogger Tammy said...

Well I am feeling a little overwhelmed by all the places I have to be today...I am thinking having more than one of me would be good...so if I was gathering my friends it would be in my secret garden for tea. We could have our shoes off and gather together and just be...no words needed. Just enjoying the breezes in the trees, the birds song, and the sweet aroma of the flowers all around us.

I do hope you got some of your work done.

blessings

Blogger Kelly said...

Hi Zoe,
Loved your post and pictures of the beach...I am feeling overwhelmed too at work lately, it is so hectic and busy and I am so tired at night! I think I would love to go with Tammy to the secret garden for tea, that sounds heavenly to me...just to relax and listen to the birds and smell the flowers and have tea and scones!
Hugs,
Kelly

Blogger Rachel Olsen said...

You, me, Luann, God, and Sunset Beach this fall ... it's a date!

I can't wait.

And you, my friend, are nothing like an old, rickety bridge. You are one of the coolest people I know. And beautiful inside and out.

HUGS ~ R

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits