Sin Like Smoke...
I've just spoken to our wonderful and precious State Farm Insurance agent (Carolyn at Bill Neal's Office in Matthews, NC) about the progress of returning our home to it's pre-fire status.
Our conversation took place in the middle of stepping over plastic sheeting as the painters begin their task of mudding nail pops and nail holes (Sorry, I don't measure before hanging pictures and artwork from Good Will or Marshall's Home Goods), sanding walls and ceilings then painting most of the interior of our home.

The painters are her today because Tom and I have been saving for a l-o-n-g time in order to have the bedrooms, kitchen and hallways painted in our home. As the Lord would have it, this is the week we had contracted to do the work.

At this very minute I'm standing at our kitchen counter typing this post as the skilled men, or (Boys from Brazil) as Tom calls them walk on stilts balancing themselves and troughs of wall mud moving from room to room in order to cover every wall and ceiling imperfection.

The agent just mentioned to me that it's a possibility our kitchen cabinets might have to be ripped off the walls and replaced and most of the walls in order to get remove the smokey smell for good. WHAT?
Everyone who enters our home says they smell smoke mixed with convalescent home
(Not good).
I'm sure you already know this, but there are only two ways to rid your home of smoke... Replace or cover-up.
If you read my last post you'll see my opinion of the cover-up idea.

All of this has given me a clear picture of just how evasive and penetrating smoke can be.
Who knew a small fire could create such devastation?

Well, girlfriends, if smoke (even unseen smoke) can create such devastation to our home... just think of what sin (especially hidden sin) does in our lives.
Get where I'm going with this?

I'll cut to the chase as I'm being chased from the only "clear" space left...
I'm asking you to join me in examining the sin, especially the hidden sin in our lives.
Are you willing to take a l-o-n-g hard look at the sin in your life and the devastating effects is has in and on you life?

This is NO easy task friends and it certainly isn't something I'm prone to doing on a regular basis, but this life situation has given me reason to look at my spiritual life with a spiritual magnifying glass.

Will you join me in seeking out those hidden sins that affect every are of our lives?
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
And yes, each post will be entered in the drawing for my latest goodie gift bag.
Drawing to be in the next few days or as soon as I can find a clean surface to type on.

Each of you is a wonderful and marvelous creation and I am blessed beyond measure to share life with you.

Ephesians 3:20-21
Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.






5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a bit tired (ok...exhausted) tonight so I don't have a great comment. But, I would have to say that I think even not-hidden sin permeates our lives in ways we can't imagine...just like the smoke smell. Thank God that he sent Jesus to cleanse us of everything.
Teresa

Blogger Amy said...

Powerful post, friend. Sobering. I just read Whitney's and then yours. It sounds like God is on the rampage teaching us girls about what holiness looks like.

Blogger Denise Turner said...

WOW. Been dealing with this concept and I have some things I have taken to the cross of Jesus. Smoke's effects often can not be but it is there. Thanks for the great devotion.

Blogger Sarah said...

I know I mess up everyday and fall short. Praise Jesus for His sacrifice for me and my salvation. I know for me cussing has been a sin that has always been under the surface and finds it way out. I find the more I am in God's word the less of my sin comes out of my mouth. Thanks for being a reminder to reevaluate and dig deep.

Blogger Our Girls said...

what a great devotion. Yes sin can overtake a person just as the results of smoke can invoke horrible results in a home.

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits