Disciple and Pilgrim
Happy Post Holiday Everyone,
I hope each of you enjoyed the time off from work and with your family/friends. Thank you for all of your sweet and precious comments regarding our 29th anniversary. It was quiet for the most part and we celebrated with our sons last night with a cook-out.

I'd like to continue with our subject of a healthy Lifestyle and today I want to share a few quotes from the book I mentioned 2 posts ago. "A Long Obedience in the Same Direction" by Eugene Peterson.
According to Peterson
"Disciple (mathetes) says we are people who spend our lives apprentices to our master, Jesus Christ. We are in a growing-learning relationship, always. A Disciple is is a learner, but not in the academic setting of a school room, rather at the work site of a craftsman. We do not acquire information about God but skills in faith."
Pilgrim (parepidemos) tells us we are people who spend our lives going someplace, going to God, and whose path for getting there is the way, Jesus Christ." "It means we'd better get on with it. Strip down, start running-and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished the race we're in."

I don't know about you sweet sistas, but I find these two quotes not only informative but inspiring.
Each new day is another opportunity to "apprentice" my faith skills with the craftsman himself, Jesus.
We must choose to strip ourselves of those things that hinder the running of our race.
We must choose to shed the extra spiritual fat that hinders the running of our race.
We must choose to rid ourselves of parasitic sins that hinder the running of our race
We must choose to keep our eyes on Jesus who began and finished the race we're in.

So...the question I pose for each of us is:
What will you choose to strip off, shed and rid yourself of?
I'll begin our discussion.
Here are the top three on my list:
Fear of failure, lack of focus and the lack of perseverance (especially when the race is painfully difficult).
I look forward to our discussion.





3 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

Great question Zoe. Very thought provoking. Number one for me is FEAR. I know that's very broad, but fear consumes so many areas of my life. (Working on that one, as you know :o) Number two would be worrying about what others think of me. Number three would be people pleasing and the feelings of guilt and pressure associated with that burden.

God's Word tells us it is for freedom He has set us free. I want to run the race He has marked out for me with joyful abandon.

A pilgrim disciple,
Joy

Blogger Jerralea said...

That IS a good question, Zoe. I guess for me, Number 1 would be procrastination; and Number 2 would be a lack of perseverance in things for me. I never give up on family, friends, or my church, but things that would affect only me, I let fall by the wayside.

Blogger jillian4 said...

Mine would be fear, fear of losing my husband, fear of feeling like I am not worth the fight....Number two, my self, it's all about me, wanting to control my own life.....Number three, bitterness and anger, bring back the joy, where did it go?

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits