Repentance
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on our continuing topic. in light of your thoughts I'd like to turn our attention to
"the word for today" Repentance.

As we consider the things we are willing to strip off, shed and rid ourselves of I think repentance is the place to begin.
According to Peterson, "Repentance is not an emotion. It is not feeling sorry for your sins. It is a decision.It is deciding you have been wrong in supposing that you could manage your own life and be your own god; it is deciding that you were wrong in thinking that you had, or could get, the strength, education and training to make it on your own...."
"Repentance is the realization that what God wants from you and what you want from God are not going to be achieved by doing the same old things, thinking the same old thoughts."

As pilgrims on a journey we must be willing to want more; more of Christ and HIS character. We must be willing move forward and away from the same old behavior and the "stinkin thinkin" that is keeping us bound up in fear and frailty.

Pilgrims do not stop until they have reached their promised land.

"They are not monuments, but footprints. A monument only says, "At least I got this far", while a footprint says, 'This is where I was when I moved again."" William Faulkner

I can't wait to read your thoughts....
Pilgrim blessings sweet friends


3 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

Zoe...I just have to say quickly that I LOVE that quote by William Faulkner... "a footprint says, 'This is where I was when I moved again.'" Love the visual reminder the footprint conveys.

I'm in a rush right now, but I'll visit back later. Going to let that thought soak a little longer before I respond further.

Until then,
Joy

Blogger Joyful said...

I'm back!

The words you've shared have been simmering in my heart since I read them. Powerful.

Repentance is so key - and the definition of it being a decision so true. It's not just a confessing, but a change in direction. It's leaving my way, and following God's way. It's believing and acting upon His Word over my incorrect thoughts. I've found that a great book to read about exchanging our thoughts for God's truths, is Jennifer Rothschild's, "Self Talk, Soul Talk".

Back to the idea of William Faulkner's quote - WOW - there's so much depth of meaning to those words.

A statue is still; but footprints suggest following. One is a memory, the other is a miraculous life in the making. A statue is unmoving, but a footprint is on a journey. The monument is an altar, the footprint is an adventure. A monument marks history; a footprint is the active, current writing of "His story" across my life.

Thinking that better than a memory stone, is fresh dirt rising beneath my sandal.

Thanks for encouraging me today not to be an atrophied adventurer but a faithful follower.

Following His footsteps,
Joy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zoe & Joy,
I am late in joining in this conversation but have really been inspired by both of your insights.

Having a healthy lifestyle physically, spiritually & emotionally ALL require repentance of old habits and thoughts. This is a constant work in progress. Zoe, as you said "Pilgrims do not stop until they have reached their promise land." That is so true!! We have to keep on keeping on!

Great post!
Blessings,
Kim

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits